- Associate Professor of Physics
320 Davey Lab
University Park, PA 16802
jus59 [ AT ] psu [ DOT ] edu
Diploma in Mathematics and Physics, Moscow State University (1996)
M.S. in Physics, Columbia University (1998)
Ph.D. in Physics, Columbia University (2001)
Honors and Awards
Fellow, American Physical Society (2013)
National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2004)
- Z. Wang, J. Shan, and K. F. Mak, "Valley- and spin-polarized Landau levels in monolayer WSe2," Nature Nanotech. (2016). doi:10.1038/nnano.2016.213
- X. Xi, H. Berger, L. Forro, J. Shan, and K. F. Mak, "Gate tuning of electronic phase transitions in two-dimensional NbSe2," Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 106801 (2016).
- K. F. Mak and J. Shan, "Photonics and optoelectronics of two-dimensional semiconductor transition metal dichalcogenides," Nature Photon. 10, 216-226 (2016).
- J. Lee, K. F. Mak, and J. Shan, "Electrical control of the valley Hall effect in bilayer MoS2 transistors," Nature Nanotech. 11, 421-425 (2016).
- X. Xi, Z. Wang, W. Zhao, J.-H. Park, K. T. Law, H. Berger, L. Forro, J. Shan, and K. F. Mak, "Ising pairing in superconducting NbSe2 atomic layers," Nature Phys. 12, 139-143 (2016).
- X. Xi, L. Zhao, Z. Wang, H. Berger, L. Forro, J. Shan, and K. F. Mak, "Strongly enhanced charge-density-wave order in monolayer NbSe2," Nature Nanotech. 10, 765-769 (2015).
- K. He, N. Kumar, L. Zhao, Z. Wang, K. F. Mak, H. Zhao, and J. Shan, “Tightly bound excitons in monolayer WSe2,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 026803 (2014).
- K. He, K. F. Mak, C. Pools, and J. Shan, “Experimental Demonstration of Continuous Electronic Structure Tuning via Strain in Atomically Thin MoS2," Nano Lett. 13, 2931–2936 (2013).
- J. A. Schuller, S. Karaveli, T. Schiros, K. He, S. Yang, I. Kymissis, J. Shan, and R. Zia, “Orientation of luminescent excitons in layered nanomaterials,” Nature Nanotech. 8, 271–276 (2013).
- K. F. Mak, K. He, C. Lee, G. H. Lee, J. Hone, T. F. Heinz, and J. Shan, “Tightly bound trions in monolayer MoS2,” Nature Mater. 12, 207-211 (2013).
- K. F. Mak, K. He, J. Shan, and T. F. Heinz, “Control of valley polarization in monolayer MoS2 by optical helicity,” Nature Nanotech. 7, 494-498 (2012).
- R. Ulbricht, E. Hendry, J. Shan, T. F. Heinz, and M. Bonn, “Carrier Dynamics in Semiconductors Studied with Time-Resolved Terahertz Spectroscopy,” Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 543–586 (2011).
- K. F. Mak, C. Lee, J. Hone, J. Shan, and T. F. Heinz, “Atomically thin MoS2: A new direct-gap semiconductor,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 136805 (2010).
- Electronic and optical properties of nanoscale materials (e.g. graphene & 2D materials beyond graphene)
- Ultrafast optics, nonlinear optics of nanomaterials
- Terahertz (THz) time-domain spectroscopy