Synthesis of magnetic, semiconductor, superconductor and topological insulator nanostructures.
Spintronics and coherent spin dynamics in mesoscopic and nanoscale geometries.
Collective spin phenomena in artificial frustrated magnets.
Searching for exotic broken symmetry surface states.
- National Science Foundation: "Collaborative Research: Coherent Manipulation and Transfer of Quantum Information amongst Single Spin Systems."
- National Science Foundation: "MRSEC: Center for Nanoscale Science."
- National Science Foundation: "MIP: 2D Crystal Consortium."
- Department of Energy: "Exploration of Artificial Frustrated Magnets."
- Office of Naval Research: "Opto-electronic Spin Control in Mesoscopic Topological Insulator Devices."
- Army Research Office/Princeton University: "MURI: The Physics of Surface States with Inter- actions mediated by Bulk Properties, Defects and Surface Chemistry."
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency/University of Minnesota: "Center for Spintronic Materials, Interfaces and Novel Architectures."
Research group members
Undergraduate students: Grant Smith.
Graduate students: Ioulia Smorchkova, Ph.D. '97 [Northrup Grumman, Los Angeles]; Frank Flack, Ph.D. '98 [Univ. Wisconsin, Madison]; Oindrilla Ray, Ph.D. '00 [VueFolio, San Jose]; Robert Knobel, Ph.D. '00 [Queens University, Canada]; Joseph Berry, Ph.D. '01 [NREL, Golden, CO]; Keh-chiang Ku, Ph.D. '04 [Marvell Semiconductor]; Weihua Wang, Ph.D.'05 [Academica Sinica, Taiwan]; Gang Xiang, Ph.D. '06 [Schichuan Univ., China]; Xia Li, Ph.D. '07 [Apple, Cupertino]; Meng Zhu, Ph.D. '08 [Global Foundries, Albany]; William Fadgen, Ph.D. '08 [Quantum Design, Brazil]; Benjamin Cooley, Ph.D. '10 [Univ. Georgia]; Andrew Balk, Ph.D. '11 [Los Alamos National Lab]; Jing Liang, Ph.D. '12; Duming Zhang, Ph.D. '12 [Lam Research]; David Rench, Ph.D. '13 [Department of Energy]; Joon Sue Lee, Ph.D. '14 [UC Santa Barbara]; Abhinav Kandala, Ph.D. '15 [IBM Yorktown Heights]; Robert Fraleigh, Ph.D. '16.
Postdocs: Seung-hyun Cheung [Sejong University, Korea]; Oleg Maksimov [ACHS]; Khalid Eid [Miami University, Ohio]; Partha Mitra [IISER Kolkatta, India]; Kriti Kohli [Global Foundries].