Renee D Diehl
- Professor Emerita of Physics
rdiehl [ AT ] psu [ DOT ] edu
Juniata College (B.S., Magna Cum Laude), 1976
University of Washington (Ph.D., Physics), 1982
Honors and Awards
Director and PI, CarbonEARTH GK-12 Program, 2010-2015.
Chair, International Conference on Structures at Surfaces (ICSOS), 2014.
Chair, Local Organizing Committee for the Mid-Atlantic Section Meeting of American Physical Society, 2014.
Chair, American Physical Society Forum on Education, 2011-2012
Chair of Advisory Committee to American Institute of Physics Statistical Research Center, 2010
Steering Committee of APS Conference on Revitalizing Graduate Education in Physics, 2007.
Juniata College Distinguished Alumni and Outstanding Science Alumni, 2007
WISE Outstanding Service Award, 2006
Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Fellowship, 2006
Chair of APS/AAPT Joint Task Force on Graduate Education in Physics, 2004-2005
Penn State Faculty Scholar Medal, 2004
Chair, Penn State Commission for Women, 2003-2004
Fellow of Institute of Physics (UK), 2003
Executive Editorial Board, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 2003-9
Honorary Member, Graduate Women in Science, 2001
Fellow of American Physical Society, 1999
Distinguished Service Award, American Association of Physics Teachers, 1999
Provost’s Collaborative and Curricular Innovations Award, 1997.
Sigma Pi Sigma Physics Honor Society 1975.
Juniata College Honor Society, 1975.
- "Hidden phase in a two-dimensional Sn layer stabilized by modulation hole doping,", F. Ming, D. Mulugeta, W. Tu, T. S. Smith, P. Vilmercati, G. Lee, Y. -T. Huang, R. D. Diehl, P. J. Snijders and H. H. Weitering, Nature Communications 8, 14721 (2017).
- "Quasi-ordered C60 molecular films grown on the pseudo-ten-fold (1 0 0) surface of the Al13Co4 quasicrystalline approximant," V. Fournée, É. Gaudry, J. Ledieu, M.-C. de Weerd and R. D. Diehl, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28 (2016) 355001.
- "Structures and thermal properties of the N2 monolayer on Pb(111)," R. D. Diehl, H. I. Li and L. W. Bruch, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 28, 035002 (2015).
- "The atomic structure of low-index surfaces of the intermetallic compound InPd,” G. M. McGuirk, J. Ledieu, É. Gaudry, M.-C. de Weerd, M. Hahne, P. Gille, D. C. A. Ivarsson, M. Armbrüster, J. Ardini, G. Held, F. Maccherozzi, A. Bayer, M. Lowe, K. Pussi, R. D. Diehl and V. Fournée. J. Chem. Phys. 143, 074705 (2015).
- "Low-energy electron diffraction and density functional theory study of potassium adsorbed on Pb(100)," Y. -T Huang, R. D. Diehl, A. Pulkkinen and K. Pussi, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 27, 345001 (2015).
- “Structure of the monoclinic Al13 Fe 4 (010) complex metallic alloy surface determined by low-energy electron diffraction,” A. Matilainen, K. Pussi, R. D. Diehl, M. Hahne, P. Gille, É. Gaudry, L. N. Serkovic Loli, G. M. McGuirk, M.-C. de Weerd, V. Fournée, and J. Ledieu, Phys. Rev. B 92, 014109 (2015).
- “C60 superstructure and carbide formation on the Al-terminated Al9Co2 (001) surface,” J. Ledieu, É. Gaudry, M.-C. de Weerd, P. Gille, R. D. Diehl, and V. Fournée, Phys. Rev. B 91, 155418 (2015).
- D. P. Woodruff, J. Ledieu, K. R. J. Lovelock, R. G. Jones, A. Deyko, L. H. Wearing, R. McGrath, A. Chaudhuri, H. I. Li, S. Y. Su, A. Mayer, N. A. Stanisha and R. D. Diehl, “X-ray standing wave study of Si clusters on a decagonal Al-Co-Ni quasicrystal surface,” Phys. Rev. B 91, 115418 (2015).
- Meier, M. and Ledieu, J. and De Weerd, M.-C. and Huang, Ying-Tzu and Abreu, G. J. P. and Pussi, K. and Diehl, R. D. and Mazet, T. and Fournée, V. and Gaudry, É., "Interplay between bulk atomic clusters and surface structure in complex intermetallic compounds: The case study of the Al5Co2 surface", Phys. Rev. B 91 (2015) 085414.
- K. Pussi, M. Caragiu, K. H. Hanna, W. Moritz, R. D. Diehl, Surface relaxation of Cu(511), J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 27 (2015) 085002
- R. D. Diehl, H. I. Li, S. Y. Su, A. Mayer, N. A. Stanisha, J. Ledieu, K. R. J. Lovelock, R. G. Jones, A. Deyko, L. H. Wearing, R. McGrath, A. Chaudhuri, D. P. Woodruff, "Quantitative adsorbate structure determination for quasicrystals using x-ray standing waves" Phys. Rev. Lett. 113 (2014) 106101.
- H. Shin, A. Schwarze, R. D. Diehl, K. Pussi, A. Colombier, E. Gaudry, J. Ledieu, G. M. McGuirk, L. N. Serkovic, V. Fournee, L. L. Wang, G. Schull, R. Berndt, "Structure and dynamics of C60 molecules on Au(111)" Phys. Rev. B 89 (2014) 245428.
- J. Petucci, M. Karimi, Y. T. Huang, S. Curtarolo, R. D. Diehl, "Ordering and growth of rare gas films (Xe, Kr, Ar, and Ne) on the ten-fold quasicrystalline approximant Al13Co4(100) surface" J. Phys.:Condens. Matt. 26 (2014) 095003.
- H. I. Li, G. J. P. Abreu, A. K. Shukla, V. Fournée, J. Ledieu, L. N. Serkovic Loli, S. E. Rauterkus, M. V. Snyder, S. Y. Su, K. E. Marino, R. D. Diehl, "Ordering and dynamical properties of superbright C60 molecules on Ag(111)" Phys. Rev. B 89 (2014) 085428.
- G. M. McGuirk, H. Shin, M. Caragiu, S. Ash, P. K. Bandyopadhyay, R. H. Prince, R. D. Diehl, "Au(111) surface phases induced by adsorption: LEED I(E) analysis of (1x1) and (5x5) Au(111-S phases" Surf. Sci. 610 (2013) 42-47.
- K. Pussi, R. D. Diehl, INVITED REVIEW “Low-Energy Electron Diffraction” Characterization of Materials, 2nd Edition, Volume 3, Ed. E. N. Kaufmann (Wiley, 2012) 1841-1853.
- K. Pussi, H. I. Li, L. N. Serkovic Loli, A. K. Shukla, J. Ledieu, V. Fournée, L. L. Wang, S. Y. Su, K. E. Marino, M. V. Snyder, R. D. Diehl “Elucidating the dynamical equilibrium of C60 molecules on Ag(111)" Phys. Rev. B 86, 205406 (2012).
- A. Mayer, H. Salopaasi, K. Pussi and R. D. Diehl “A novel method for the extraction of intensity–energy spectra from low-energy electron diffraction patterns” Comput. Phys. Commun. 183, 1443 – 1447 (2012).
- J. Vuorinen, K. Pussi, R. D. Diehl and M. Lindroos, "Correlation of electron self-energy with geometric structure in low-energy electron diffraction," J. Phys. Condens. Mat. 24, 015003 (2012).
- S. Curtarolo, W. Setyawan and R. D. Diehl, INVITED REVIEW "Gas-surface interactions on quasicrystals," Israel J Chem 51, 1304 – 1313 (2011).
- H. Shin, M. Karimi, W. Setyawan, S. Curtarolo and R. D. Diehl, "Ordering and growth of Xe films on the 10-fold quasicrystalline approximant Al13Co4(100) surface," Phys. Rev. B 84, 115454 (2011).
- H. Shin, K. Pussi, E. Gaudry, J. Ledieu, V. Fournée, S. Villaseca, J. Dubois, Y. Grin, P. Gille, W. Moritz and R. D. Diehl, "Structure of the orthorhombic Al13Co4(100) surface using LEED, STM, and ab initio studies," Phys. Rev. B 84, 085411 (2011).
- H. Shin, S. E. O'Donnell, P. Reinke, N. Ferralis, A. K. Schmid, H. Li, A. D. Novaco, L. W. Bruch and R. D. Diehl, "Floating two-dimensional solid monolayer of C60 on graphite," Phys. Rev. B 82, 235427 (2010).
- J. O. Sofo, R. D. Diehl INVITED “Viewpoint: Geodesic carbon nanodomes” Physics (APS) 2, 84 (2009).
- H. Li, K. Pussi, K. Hanna, L. Wang, D. D. Johnson, H. Cheng, H. Shin, S. Curtarolo, W. Moritz, J. Smerdon, R. McGrath and R. D. Diehl "The surface geometry of C60 on Ag(111)" Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 056101 (2009).